Friday, October 10, 2008

Angie: My Purple Purse...


Well, I know I'm still new to most of you (Just for the record, it's been great getting to know you all, and I look forward to a great year with you!!). I've never done a blog before, so this is a new experience for me. But lucky for you all, I've always loved telling stories... :)

So, here's my latest story...

My Grandma Maysie passed away back in March of this year. She was my mom's mom, and she lived in Sterling. After I moved to Virginia, I made it a habit of going out to visit her once a month. We would usually sit at her house and chat for a while, then visit a yummy Chinese buffet, and then she would take me shopping. It was just her little way of being generous with me. We would go to Kohl's or Macy's or other various locations, and if I made a request, I always got it. And the thing about these shopping trips was that Grandma knew how to shop! She was great at finding the right thing for the right price.

So, last weekend, I received a $10 off coupon for Macy's because it was my birthday. With the economy such as it is, I've been trying to be thrifty, but I figured for my birthday, I could go out and get something nice for myself. One of the straps on my purse was just about ready to snap, so I thought I'd go to Macy's and see if I could use my coupon to buy a new purse.

Well, I got to the store and started looking through the various handbags. The only problem was that every one I picked up cost $100 or more! I mean, I wanted something nice for myself, but I wasn't about to spend that much on it! So, as I was walking through the store, I said a little prayer to my grandma and asked her to help me find a good purse.

I kept looking. I found one that was okay, but it wasn't great. But it was the right price, and I could live with it. I had made up my mind to go with it and started walking toward the register when something caught my eye: a purple purse sitting on one of the displays.

I changed course and went to check out the purse. I picked it up and opened it up. There was a flashlight on the inside to help you find your stuff. And it was nice and deep, but not too big. I slung it over my shoulder, and it felt just right.

And then, the moment of truth... I looked at the price tag: $49.95. Well, it's a little more than I was hoping to spend, but I really liked the purse. And with the $10 off coupon, it wasn't going to be that bad. Oh what the heck! I put the kinda okay purse back and went to the register with the purple purse.

And let me tell you, Grandma really came through for me. When I got to the counter, the purse rang up as $32. I guess it had been on sale, and I either didn't notice or it wasn't well-marked. So, with the $10 off, I ended up paying only $22 for my new purple purse.

All thanks to Grandma Maysie, who was looking out for me from heaven. :)

No comments: